Periodontal disease, commonly known as gum disease, is caused by bacteria in plaque. If not consistently removed, this bacteria builds up, infecting your teeth, gums and eventually the bone that supports your teeth, a common cause of tooth loss.
Gum disease has three stages of progression: gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis; the longer the disease has to advance, the more damage it causes. With advancements in detection and treatment, Dorsey Family Dental can discover periodontal disease early and begin treatment before complicated issues arise.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
- Red, tender, and swollen gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Constant bad breath or bad taste in your mouth
- Gum line is receding, or gums are pulling away from teeth and forming pockets
- Changes in your bite or teeth alignment, loose teeth
The main goal of treatment is to control the infection. The number and types of treatment will vary, depending on the extent of the gum disease. Any type of treatment requires that the patient keep up good daily care at home. In addition to routine dental cleaning, Dorsey Family Dental offers Deep Cleaning (also known as Scaling and Root Planing), Laser assisted gum treatment as well as Pinhole Surgical Technique to correct gum recession. Dorsey Dental Care specializes in Pinhole Surgical Technique.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease Before it Starts?
Simple, everyday steps can be taken to avoid gum disease growth, including:
- Brushing and flossing consistently at least twice a day
- Using an antimicrobial mouth rinse daily to help control plaque
- Scheduling regular checkups
If you are experiencing the symptoms of gum disease, please contact Dorsey Family Dental at 502-244-1500 to schedule an appointment right away.